Taking your business to the next level can be exciting and very overwhelming at the same time!
I know, I did it.
Taking time out to plan your goals and think about your next move is vital in any business and will help you create a clear strategy to work towards.
But what if the thought of growing frightens you? What if you are already working long hours and don’t want to work anymore?
When I set up Apollo Care back in 2011, my plan was to keep my business very small and local… I had no big plans to grow.
The business had other ideas! Within 12 months of trading I had waiting lists for care and enquiries coming in from all over the country, which was great but I started to feel very overwhelmed.
The business was growing and I was doing everything. I felt very stuck and was unsure what to do.
Anybody who knows my story, knows what happened next 😊
So why did I decide to franchise my business? What was so appealing?
1. Capital: A common barrier to business expansion is capital. Franchising allows expansion without the risk of debt as the franchisee provides all the capital required to open and operate another unit.
2. Motivated Managers: One of my biggest concerns when growing my business was who would manage the other businesses as well as I did? Franchise managers have the motivation and enthusiasm to grow and succeed as they are a business owner who have invested into the business.
3. Speed of Growth: Opening a single unit, on its own, takes time. Growth within a franchise is so much faster! I had sold 3 of my franchise areas within the first 3 months of franchising so growth and expansion happened very quickly!
4. Ease of Supervision: Franchisees are responsible for the day to day running of their operation. This gave me time to concentrate on the bigger picture of what I wanted for the business and brand, to improve our systems and to market for growth.
5. Reduced risk: Franchising reduces risk for the franchisor. The franchisee has the responsibility for the franchise operation they have purchased, including hiring and managing employees, and taking responsibility for any working capital.
When I started the franchising process I felt excited but also very worried about how it would work within my business. Did I have the right systems in place? Would I actually sell a franchise?
Looking back, I realise that these worries were normal, I was doing something I had never done before and was apprehensive about the outcome.
I quickly sold 3 franchises and suddenly my small, local care agency was growing and operating without me.
I now have 8 very successful franchise teams and my brand is now recognised across the country.
Franchising my business has enabled me to expand my business, grow my head office team and work less hours so I can spend more time with my family.
Franchising can work for so many businesses, from cleaning companies to Children’s play classes. The model is very adaptable. Could it work for you?
If you are considering franchising your business, I would love to have a chat with you to see how we could help. Click here to book a call.
Just taking the first step is sometimes the jolt you need. You can do it and we can show you how.